Saturday, January 17, 2015

Practice Blog Post

Outline:

Who am I? I am my experiences
What are my passions? Staying busy---> include picture!
What do you do best? Organize and lead
What do you like to do more than other things? Be around my friends
What do you want to get better at doing? Playing the piano
Interesting facts...

Where have I lived? Forever a Mobilian
What are my major interests? Anything dealing with exercise and the body
How did I come to attend USA? Scholarship
Personal and family info...

Why do I want to be an educator? To make a difference
What does an educator do in his or her practice? Motivates
Why do I want to enter the education field? To make a difference
What does an educator's work entail in the 21st century? Staying ahead of the game

           To begin, my name is Kasey Orr and I am a person who is defined by my experiences. Time and time again I have been asked the question of "Who I am" and it has been one that is difficult to explain. After finishing high school I saw myself only defined by the things that I had done in the previous four years, so I thought that I would figure it out after I started college. Turns out, I am in the same place now as I was then. My identity feels that it has come from thing experiences and opportunities that I have taken advantage of. Not to say that it is a bad thing, quite the opposite. It feels as if though I am not defined to one thing because my experiences are always changing, the idea to me is similar to all the "hats" that we wear. I am not just one particular thing or person, but a collection of all the experiences that I have encountered. The previous explanation of myself makes it easy to explain as to why my passions are anything that keeps me busy. I love being able to try new things and add new adventures to my story. Currently I am trying to get into kayaking and hopefully planning a few new trips. To keep all these passions in order, along with having school and two jobs, I had to become very organized very quickly. My planner is my saving grace and I record everything that I do in it. My organization skills have been very useful in my past years getting through college and scheduling time for work too. I have worked two jobs for about 4 years now and while I never really saw myself as a leader in high school, I feel that the role is now one that I have always wanted and it makes me happy knowing that people trust me to lead. Hopefully these things about me don't get on my friends nerves too much because hanging out with them is my favorite thing to do, its always something different each time. Besides hanging out with my friends I love to paint and to play the piano and there is always room for improvement in both so that is definitely two things that I would like to get better at.
          Besides from my parents short lived idea to live in Kansas City when I was a baby I have always been a Mobilian, almost 23 years now. Living in this city for so long is part of the reason that I ended up attending South Alabama. I received a scholarship right out of high school and mom and dad loved it that I would be able to stay home so here I am currently half way through my fifth year. My first bachelor's was in Exercise Science which is what lead to what my interests are now. I love reading and doing anything that deals with exercise and its effects on the body. This is what has lead me to want to teach health now and has pointed me in the direction of becoming an educator. I wont be the only teacher in the family though, my aunt is an elementary teacher and my cousin is currently pursuing her degree in secondary education as well. My dad has been a paramedic for almost 19 years now and my mom has worked at Springhill Hospital for about the same amount of time. They have always been supportive of my choices and for that I am so thankful. It has been a long road and a good bit of time that I have been in college and I never expected to want to obtain a second bachelor's but becoming an educator is really exciting to me. I want to be an educator because I really want to inspire kids to become life long learners and especially if I get to teach health I want to really make a difference in kids lives and give them good direction. In his or her practice an educator essentially motivates and encourages their students and helps them reach their goals. No educator wants to see their students fail and wants to help them understand the material that they need to learn. In the 21st century teaching will continue to change in many ways. Technology is continually advancing and teachers have to evolve along with it in order to keep up and to keep students interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment