Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Blog Post 3

How can you provide meaningful feedback to your peers?
     The most important concept recognized among all the peer review sources is that it is essential to stay positive when providing feedback to a peer's writing. Whether the student has written the best piece of work you have ever seen or it's a full of grammatical errors, it is important to always comment, suggest, or compliment in a positive manner. Providing feedback should be done in a way that at first you should compliment on the students writing and attempt at covering a subject, then present any suggestions that you think could amplify their writing, and finally provide some corrections to errors that you may have found in their writing. This way of providing feedback reminds me of how a "compliment sandwich" is done in the workplace. Essentially, a boss would start off with a compliment, a positive fact about the employee, then state what the problem is in his or her work, and then end their discussion with another positive statement letting them know that they are appreciated. This type of approach makes the situation easier for everyone.


      I have never been a huge fan of peer reviews and peer editing, this is mostly because of how the kids were in the third video that was watched. Whenever I had to let someone view my assignments, I really just thought that it was a waste of time. Other students would either read through really quickly or just straight up not care about what I had written. This became really frustrating and seemed to get no where. Thankfully I have a lot more appreciation for it now because I can see how useful a tool it is for not only people reviewing my work but for me as well when I am reviewing work. Taking the time to read through someone else's words can show you a lot about different writing styles and can keep your mind fresh on grammar and its usage.

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Orr
    I like your description of a "comment sandwhich". I have too found that when in the workplace starting any discussion with positive feedback helps to form a union between employee and supervisor. I see how letting children review each others work can enhance their ability to understand their own work. It can give them a new perspective on review just as you found a new view.

    ReplyDelete